Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Social Media, Support Media

Okay, okay... In my last blog I complained about the poor news I learned via social media. Unfortunately the table turned on me and suddenly I was hit by another sad news but this time it came to me over the phone. My brother called. My dad had passed. I was mortified. My worst fear suddenly struck me by surprise.

Social Media did not hold a grudge against me. They turned into a wonderful support system. People I did not really knew sent me messages full of compassion via Twitter. My closer friends got a hold of me via Facebook. Being spread across the world, everyone could not necessarily travel for his funerals. Many people came, more than I expected, but even more contributed electronically.

I started working on a poster of my Dad's pictures over the years. My brothers joined in and we displayed it at the funeral. I also had a slideshow of the last few years we enjoyed together. He was happy with his 10 grand-children. We included shots of him at all of our houses, with his friends as well as pictures from around the world (including of course many from his beloved Vietnam). He looked so happy. He had a fulfilled life.

I posted those pictures on Facebook and read every single comment from my relatives and friends. Some knew my Dad, some did not. It was emotional.

I shed tears reading those messages.

Whatever you want to call them, those social media are helping me remember my Dad and commemorate the time he has shared with us. It is helping me cope with this tragedy.

Grieving does not come from forgetting, it comes from remembering and celebrating.

The first messages where full of empathy. The following interactions allowed me to move on. I miss my dad and will always do. That being said, having a memorial of a new kind right there, for everyone's appreciation, is helping me a lot. My cousin is putting together a painting exhibit to celebrate her late Dad. I don't have that kind of talent but social media helps me express my feelings nevertheless.

Thank you.




Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment